Friday, November 14, 2008

Rosy Disenchantment

Hola Hola! Well my lovely people, the week flew by and it is Sunday yet again. The week was both tiresome and uplifting............

With classes back in full swing my days seem much more full and worthwhile. It is so encouraging when my students enjoy class and express and genuine interest in learning. Since I love education so much I try to convey to them the beauty of learning. I truly believe there are few things more glorious than knowledge. I frequently notice that the students are not motivated by learning, but by receiving a above-average grade. While I see some value in earning good grades, it is sad that young folks lose their curiosity and fervor in the education system.

At the end of the week, I received a great complement from a student, that is one of the sweetest things anyone has said to me; One of our conversation topics in class was if you were a food, what food would you be? After all the students had spoke I had them think of what food I would be. One student said " You would be sauce." A little confused I asked him " How am I like sauce?" and he replied " Sauce makes everything delicious like your kindness makes everyone happy." I thought that was a) incredibly poetic b) absolutely adorable!

Outside of class, as usual, my time was quite insipid and colorless. I did realize that Thanksgiving may be worse than I had foreseen... As Koreans obviously do not celebrate Thanksgiving and it is a Thursday holiday, I will be working Thanksgiving. I am reasonably upset about my realization, but hoping that work will distract and not depress me. In other news I am spending some time researching graduate programs and planning for the near future. I plan to begin studying and take the GRE soon, in addition to submit applications to several masters degree programs. With any luck these efforts will distract me for several weeks.

Recent events have reawakened dreams that I thought were lost, and these possibilities have left me daydreaming and envisioning future prospects. Sometimes I have a hard time separating dream from reality and I hope that my musings will lack any negative effects. Like many times in the past I ache to jump in the water, but remain standing at the shore looking absentmindedly at the sky. Maybe one day somebody will push me in.........

To conclude this posting: I think my experience in Korea is ultimately positive, because if nothing else, I am mentally navigating toward the narrowing trajectory of my future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holly, Holly, Holly. Sorry for any recent blogs I have missed. I've had my fair share of drama going. The good news, however, is that it is now over and done with. Anyhow, as always it was a pleasure reading what you had to say. It's really a shame we didn't get to work together more often at UCLA or at least talk a little more. You are one cool cat :-) Really, you are. There are very few people I feel I can connect with on a mental level. And you're definitely one of them.

That aside, stay strong. You are doing something most people our age could NEVER do. Your strength, independence, and sense of adventure will get you through this, Thanksgiving, and anything else life will throw at you. Hope you have a great week :-)