Sunday, November 2, 2008

Eggs Sunny Side Up

Hello All!

First of all, Thank you for the posts last week! It is helpful to know someone is listening and cares. After reading them, I decided I needed to concentrate less on the negative and focus on the attainable and present.
With positive-proton thoughts in mind I decided to travel to Busan during my vacation week. It was a refreshing trip and I am glad that I ventured out of Cheongju. Busan is the second largest Korean city, so it is very metropolitan. I used the trip as an opportunity to indulge in some Western food and plenty of people-watching. Things I observed: A million cute-Korean couples like the others that seem to spill out of the streets. There is a curious waffle and ice-cream trend that appears exclusive to Busan. Busan also offers these ultra-ornate italian restaurants, which teem with the previously mentioned couples. In other news: I am now a coffee drinker.... During the trip it seemed appropriate to have cup of coffee, which I discovered to be quite delectable. Following that first cup, several more followed, and have added fuel to my caffeine addiction.
The remainder of my vacation-week was spent relaxing in Cheongju. I did go to the bar for a Halloween party, which was thrown primarily for the small foreigner population residing in Cheongju. I was stoked to dance to the bad garage rock music and interact with other humans. The evening was enjoyable, but ended poorly due to some sleazy middle-age man's inappropriate behavior.
I am happy to report that meal preparation remains as a primary source of entertainment. My abilities and culinary adventures are broadening and have culminated to this evening's Thyme-roasted Duck breast with vanilla red wine sauce accompanied by roasted sweet potato and poached pear (Thank goodness for comfort-packages and online shopping). I am very impressed with myself:) Finding recipes and cooking is comfortably reminiscent of home and provides me with a creative outlet. I hope my Grandma Bingham would be proud.
In closing here is a list of things I like about Korea:
1) The yellow, red, and brown leaves that litter the streets and I kick as I am walking
2) Little kids playing outside at night without supervision, because safety is not an issue
3) Teaching my classes
4) Genuinely friendly sales clerks
5) self-sufficiency

Sending all my love,
-Holly-

No comments: