Saturday, November 22, 2008

smiles, gumdrops, and figments of our imaginations

Hello World!

I have arrived, I am very happy this week. My insides are singing with anticipation and life is looking positive.

Wednesday brought............. SNOW! I know super cool right? Yes, yes I am a Californian. My coworker, Lauren, and I were super childish staring and frolicking in the icy flakes. It was my second experience with falling snow, so I was quite fascinated. The negative component of the snowy weather is the freezing temperature. I have never felt so cold in all of my life. When I walk outside its like my bones ache with coldness. At this point I am wearing pants, boots, 2 sweaters, a coat, thick gloves, and a tightly wrapped scarf. Each time I see myself, my nose is Rudolph-red and my lips are a lovely shade of purple. In response to the harsh elements, coffee-drinking has developed into a means of warming my body. I am still weirded out by my consumption of coffee..........

The generosity of Korean store-owners provides me with some emotional warmth to combat the bleak weather. As I have mentioned in previous posts Korean store-owners frequently give me little gifts. This week, when I came in for my tri-weekly visit, the bakery owner gave me these heart-shaped pocket warmers upon seeing my sniffling and shivering state. Yesterday, the convenience store man gave a humongous apple with my water. I was very touched by their benevolence. i think their tokens are in appreciation of my regular business. I like the personal aspect to their businesses and feel more inclined to make purchases. They have perhaps unknowingly mastered the principles of good business.

I have been contemplating the degree to which our lives are truly selfish. My perspectives has always rested on the idea that since life is carried out in one's own body, we tend to act in self-centered ways. However even seemingly egotistical motives typically include accommodation for any nearby humanity. For instance if someone is committing a selfish act, they will modify or frame their actions such that other people will still regard them positively. Additionally in many ways an individual's happiness oftentimes rests completely on the interactions and affection gained from others. Complicatedly enough, although humans fundamentally strive to promote self-interest, we are constantly adapting and conforming to the needs and desires of those intersecting our habitats. Perhaps this ever-present accommodation makes the world a functional place, where people pursue their own well-being yet reframe from infringing upon the livelihood of others.

I hope everyone enjoys their turkey and family gatherings this week. Holidays can become stale and redundant when we forget their true meanings and regard them as an obligation to our social intersections. Rather than performing your part in an elaborate meaningless charade, try acting upon your unfeigned needs for love and companionship. Perhaps you will find Thanksgiving and Christmas obligations less tedious and embrace the conviviality intended for these days:)

All of my love,
-Holly-

No comments: